Friday 21 November 2014

Banana cake with lemon sauce

I love banana bread but all the recipes I had used eggs. Most of my students do not eat eggs so I have to  constantly experiment how to replace eggs in the recipes I have. 
I have this wonderful cake recipe book published by Better Homes and Gardens. I  purchased this when I was a grad student at UVa (currently in the news for all the wrong reasons and more about that later) and once I made the ice cream cake from this book for my friends because one of them wanted to eat an ice cream cake. There is a lovely pinapple-orange upside down cake recipe too- absolutely delicious cake but again calls for eggs.
I turned to it yesterday looking for recipe to adapt and there it was- Nutmeg cake with lemon sauce.
This morning I made it.  It is a rich cake calling for 1/2cup of butter and 11/2 cups of sugar. As the sugar crystals are large, I grind them to powder along with vanilla pod. Today I also added half a piece of nutmeg.  I usually melt the butter and beat it into the sugar.  It called for 3 eggs which I replaced with the puree of 4 over ripe bananas. That too went into the butter-sugar mix. 
For the flour, the recipe called for 2 cups of flour and I did not give in to my temptation of adding atta into it. I used 2 cups of maida as recommended. If you are using eggs, you need to add only 1 tsp of baking powder. If bananas are replacing eggs, then you need to increase the baking powder. For each egg, add extra 1/4 tsp of baking powder.  So I added 1 3/4 tsp of baking powder.  And 1 tsp of baking soda.
The recipe also called for 1 cup of butter milk or sour milk (add lemon juice to milk).
Alternatively add flour and milk to the butter-sugar-banana mix and fold them in. Pour the cake batter onto a 13 X 9X 2 inch pan and bake at 180oC for 30 minutes.
The lemon sauce is also very rich. I heated 3/4 cups of sugar with 5 tablespoon of corn starch and 1 cup of water till the mixture became thick. Then 2 tablespoon of butter was stirred in along with lemon juice and lemon peel.
Once the cake was done, I poured a little bit of sauce over it as I was planning to take it to the lab meeting. However, the appropriate thing is to serve the cake with sauce.
The picture of the cake is here:


The little corner is cut off because I wanted to taste it and
I forgot to take the picture before cutting the cake.





It is when I tasted it that I realized that I have the perfect banana cake- the one I had been searching for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment